Monday, July 16, 2007

Older male cat growls at younger cats?

Here is a cat behavior question from Sandra L. If you have one please please email me at lukeblaise1m@excite.com

Hello,

I have a cat that is 7 years old, a male, neutered. I also have two other male cats which are much younger - ages 3 years old. Whenever the two youngest cats go near the older cat the older cat runs and hides and growls. He is a big cat, approximately 18 lbs and the other two are like maybe 10 lbs. Why does the older cat act that way? All have been in my house since being born. This behavior started about 6 months ago.

Sandra L.

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for the question. I can think of several reasons why your cat maybe acting like this. The younger cats are probably a lot more energetic than the older cat and the older cat likely wants to be left alone. Cats are naturally solitary creatures, unlike dogs who like to run in packs. Since there is not actual fighting at this point, I think it is best just to let the older cat be.

Thanks,

Luke

No comments: